Tuesday, October 4, 2016

The Lantana

Sitting in the hot-tub
in California,
I meditated on the
lantana growing to the side.
Red and yellow, sometimes
called Spanish Flag.
There is also a
blue-and-white variety,
which some call
Flag of Israel.
I'll call it
Flag of Uruguay,
our future home.
*
We no longer have
a hot-tub,
but we have a
swimming pool.
As I sit
naked in the sun,
the woman I love
beside me,
I see
that lantana has
grown under the
garden walls
on two sides
to greet me.
Like me, it
luxuriates in the
southern-hemisphere
sun
*
As all refugees
know, you can
only take with you
what is in your
head, and in your
heart.
Oh yes, I brought
books--
three hundred
of them--
though I had to
give away
a thousand.
But I still have
the woman I love
beside me,
and what
is in my head,
and in my heart.
And of course,
the lantana
could not be
stopped.

May 20 2015
Revised March 24 2017





No comments:

Post a Comment