Saturday, July 21, 2018

Adjusting the Fire

the woodstove insert
in the fireplace
is finicky.
there is a spot,
middle of the slot,
of the bottom vent
control--if you can
hit it,
the fire will burn
brighter and longer.
when I do hit it,
I almost remember
something
"O Mary,"
from my Catholic
grade school,
something I liked,
along with much
that I didn't,
"O Mary,"
something that was
good,
and pure,
"O Mary we crown thee"
and perfect.
"With blossoms today,"
I open the door
with the large,
glass pane,
add some wood,
and have to adjust
the fire again,
trying to get it
just right,
middle of the slot.
"Queen of the Angels,"
goddess-worship
comes easy
to me.
"Queen of the May."
and one of the girls,
one I also worshiped,
would place a crown
of flowers
on Mary's head,
like the crown
of stars
on Mother
Yemanyá.


No comments:

Post a Comment