Tuesday, February 15, 2022

My Return to Film Photography - X

I've continued to shoot and develop film, most recently in 35mm. I'm using the Canon AE-1, with the new (to me) 50mm f1.4 FD normal lens. This lens is extremely sharp, and the results are so gratifying that I really don't want to shoot with any other lens. Unfortunately, the Canon EOS uses a different lens mount, so I'll be stuck using the 28-80mm zoom lens with it.

Here are a few of my recent shots:



The tree was shot in deep shade, 1/250 sec. at f5.6. For all of these shots, the film is Tri-X, rated at ISO 400.



This shot, looking up into the trees, was done at 1/250 and f16. I think the lens begins to be affected by the diffraction (? don't remember if this is the right word) limit at f16.



I had some trouble with water-spotting with the TX film. I am using a Paterson squeegee that I haven't really gotten used to. For 35mm, I think I would do better using my two fingers. I wish I still had my Yankee squeegee, with the soft sponge pads.



My agèd face shows the sharpness of the f1.4 normal lens. The main light source was the 60W quartz-halogen clamp light, and the exposure was 1/30 sec. at f5.6.

For comparison, here are a couple of digital shots:




I don't think they hold up too well against the film shots, but in the next instalment of this series, I'll try to re-create them on film. Then we can do a more proper comparison. In the meantime, shoot film, if you can!

(to be continued)


Text and images Copyright © 2022 by Donald C. Traxler aka Donald Jacobson Traxler.


No comments:

Post a Comment