Wednesday, April 19, 2017

PSALM 9

Note: This psalm is, in the Hebrew text, divided into two psalms: Psalm 9 is comprised of verses 1-21, and verses 22-39 are there called Psalm 10. The psalm, though, is an acrostic (each verse begins with a different letter of the alphabet, in alphabetic order). Two of the verses, those corresponding to the letters Daleth and Samekh, are missing from the Masoretic text, due to its state of conservation, which is poorer than that of the Septuagint. Due to the Masoretic division of this psalm into two, from this point on the psalm numbers in the Masoretic text are one higher than those in the Septuagint and the Vulgate. The numbers again come into alignment with Psalm 148. In my translations the numbers, where they differ, are given according to both numbering systems.

I will celebrate you, O Lord,
with all my heart,
I will tell of all your wonders.
I will rejoice and exult in you,
I will make music to your name,
O Most High.

For my enemies have retreated,
they have fallen down and perished
before your face.

For you have accepted
my judgment and my cause,
you have sat on the throne
as a righteous judge.

You rebuked the nations,
destroyed the wicked,
erased their name forever.

The enemies have vanished,
their acts in eternal ruin,
you have destroyed their cities,
the memory of them has perished.

But the Lord abides forever,
he has established his throne
for judgment, and he will judge
the world with justice,
he will judge the peoples with equity.

The Lord will be a refuge
for the oppressed,
a haven in times of trouble.

They will hope in you
who have known your name,
for you, O Lord,
do not abandon
those who seek you.

Make music to the Lord
who dwells in Zion,
announce his works
to the nations,
for the avenger of blood
has remembered them,
he has not forgotten
the cry of the poor.

Have mercy on me, O Lord,
see the affliction that I suffer
from the hands of my enemies.
Lift me from the gates of death,
that I may proclaim all your praises,
that in the gates of the daughter of Zion
I may rejoice in your deliverance.

The nations have fallen into
the pit that they made,
their foot is caught in
the snare that they hid.
The Lord has shown himself
and given judgment.
The wicked have been caught
in the works of their hands.

Let sinners be turned back to Sheol,
all the nations that have forgotten God.
For the poor will not always be forgotten,
nor the hope of the needy forever lost.

Rise up, O Lord, lest man prevail,
let the nations be judged in your sight.
Set a teacher over them, O Lord,
let the peoples know
that they are only human.

Translation © 2015 by Donald C. Traxler



No comments:

Post a Comment